The important furry family members


I think there are actually quite a few different talking points about pets in here in Hong Kong.  Rather than me drivelling on and writing a complete essay, it might be best if we split this post into two: before and after arrival.

So for part one:  You are moving to the 852 so where do you even start with getting your furry family member their HK visa?  Here are the most important things you need to do.

  1. Apply for a permit. You need to obtain a permit from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department. The permit costs HK$432 for one animal and an extra HK$102 for each additional animal. The application process takes around five days.
  2. Make sure your animal is in good health. Take a trip to the vets and make sure you are up to date on all recommended vaccines, and most importantly make sure your animal has had an anti-rabies vaccine.

Cats need to be vaccinated for: Feline Panleucopaenia (Infectious Enteritis) and Cat Flu.

Dogs need to be vaccinated for: Canine Distemper, Infectious Canine Hepatitis and Canine Parvovirus.

  1. Get your cat or dog micro-chipped. All cats and dogs entering Hong Kong need to have a chip.
  2. What certificates do I need to obtain? A vaccination certificate from your vet, an animal health certificate (that mentions your micro-chip number), an anti-rabies certificate and a residence certificate – this is needed to prove your animal has been in your departure country for more than 180 days.
  3. What do I tell the airline? You need to of course call the airline in advance of your departure – costs and organisation will vary from carrier to carrier.  However, it is important that you obtain an airline carrier certificate to prove that you travelled non-stop to Hong Kong from your country of departure.
  4. What’s the deal with quarantine? In most cases, animals travelling from the EU, US, Singapore, Japan, NZ and Australia are not required to spend time in quarantine.  However, animals aged less than five months will remain in quarantine regardless of the country from which they have travelled from.
  5. Are there any ‘no’ cases? Animals under 60 days and those that are pregnant are not permitted under any circumstances.
  6. You’ve only talked about dogs and cats! Any other animal will need special permission to be transported to Hong Kong.  The application form for special requests can be found here.

In part two, I’ll look at the main issues after arrival such as accommodation, insurance, vets and other fun things.

If you’re relocating with JLL Residential we can help your whole family relocate – including your four legged family members!  Get in touch if you have any questions.

Chu San, Callum and I are yet to add a furry family member to The Harbourside.  What would you think would be a good addition to our family?


Stella signature


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s